B&W Retro Boylston Bra

14 h 31

Boylston bra from Orange Lingerie
Bras, I want more bras
I seems like bra making has taken all the space in my sewing world. I have to "force" my self to look at and sew other projects, or else, this is all I dream about. If I suffer of insomnia, no problem! I simply have to think about the lace, mesh, elastics, and lycra fabric and hop my brain leads me to bra wonderland. It puts me back to sleep and I dream of sewing beautiful lingerie all night long. But I don't only dream about, I sew a bit as well.  After finishing my last Malborough bra, I have sewn my first Watson bra. But this bra is not the subject of the present post.

Why the Boylston bra
After seeing Norma Loehr's samples of her most recent pattern, the Boylston bra, I knew that it would be for me. Balconnette and half cup are my two favourite style of bras. Most of the RTW bras I buy are in those two styles.

Before cutting expensive silk and laces, I wanted to make sure that the fit was fine for me. I assumed the 34 B would be perfect since this is the size I cut for the Malborough. I applied the same correction in the back, taking 1 cm off both sides of the back band. Bing !  The fit was right on. Well it was right on after, replacing the front strap. I had misplaced it and the bra was too big.


Boylston bra from Orange Lingerie

Une charmante obsession
J'ai l'impression d'être un peu obsédée par la confection de soutiens-gorge. Rien d'autre ne m'intéresse vraiment et je dois me "forcer" pour garnir ma garde-robe de nouveaux vêtements de ville. La nuit, si je souffre d'insomnie, facile de me rendormir. Lrsque ma tête erre dans le merveilleux monde de la dentelle, des tulles légères, des élastiques aux mille couleurs et de la mèche extensible. je laisse ma tête créer de la beauté et hop Morphée vient me cueillir afin de poursuivre une heureuse nuit de sommeil.

Ahhh le joli balconnet...
Après avoir vu les échantillons du dernier patron de Norma Loehr, le "Boylston bra", j'étais certaine que je l'aimerais. Les soutiens-gorge demi-buste et les balconnets ont la cote dans ma vie depuis mes premiers dessous mignons. Ils conviennent à la forme de mon torse et de mon sein. 

Avant de tailler de belles soies et des dentelles coûteuses, j'ai taillé la première version dans des retailles de coton et lycra. 

Comme la Malborough me faisait parfaitement en taille 34B, j'ai taillé la même grandeur pour celle-ci. Mis à part une petite erreur de placement de la bretelle, qui me donnait l'impression d'un soutif trop grand, l'ajustement était parfait. Tout comme pour la Malborough, j'ai retiré sur le patron papier, 1 cm de chaque côté à la bande de dos. Une bande de la bonne taille assure un excellent support et une mise en valeur de nos atouts.



Boylston bra from Orange Lingerie


As I said earlier, for this first Boylston bra, I did not want to cut expensive fabric. I then used left over fabric from a sleeveless blouse project I finished last summer. Well finished is not the right word. I have not done the buttonholes yet.

Comme je l'indiquais précédemment, pour cette première version, j'ai laissé les tissus coûteux de côté et j'ai mis à profit les retailles d'un projet de chemisier sans manche réalisé l'été dernier. Ce chemisier est orphelin de ses boutonnières et j'entends bien remédier à la situation sous peu. Sans presse puisque l'hiver, il ne me sera pas tellement utile. Je préfère les pulls de laine et ceux de cachemire aux cotons légers.


Butterick 4985
Boylston bra and Montgomery brief
Boylston bra and Montgomery brief

The back band is sewn with a double layer of power mesh in black. The double layer allows me to have a great finish inside as well as more support. I used 12mm elastic strapes in the back since that size seemed to correspond better to the size of the front part (made of fabric and narrow band elastic).

Boylston bra from Orange Lingerie

La bande arrière est confectionné à l'aide d'une double épaisseur de mèche extensible. Cette doublure me permet à la fois d'obtenir une finition impeccable à l'intérieur ainsi qu'un meilleur soutien. J'ai utilisé des bretelles élastiques de 12 mm. Elles me semblaient mieux convenir à la portion avant (en tissu) de la bretelle.

The brief 


Montgomery brief from Orange Lingerie

To complete the set, I have sewn an all mesh brief using the Montgomery pattern from Orange Lingerie as well. The front panel is made of a single layer and the back (with the center seam you see in transparency) is made of a double layer. This very well drafted pattern fits like a glove and it is invisible under your pants. No inelegant elastic cutting your cheek as you walk.


La culotte 
Une jolie culotte en mèche extensible complète l'ensemble. Fidèle à Orange Lingerie, j'ai utilisé leur génial patron Montgomery. Le panneau avant est fait d'un simple épaisseur de mèche et le derrière (avec la couture que l'on voit en transparence) est confectionné à double épaisseur. La couture au centre dos permet d'omettre l'inélégant élastique que nous scie la fesse et marque sous la pantalon. J'adore ce patron.


The following pictures allow you to better appreciate the pattern.

Les photos suivantes vous permettent de mieux apprécier les lignes du patron.


Montgomery brief - front pannel



Montgomery brief - back with the central seam
One modification
From the original sewing method, I decided to change how the waist elastic is sewn. Norma makes us sew the front part of the waist elastic on the front panel. Then we sew the back waist elastic to the back panel. The front and the back are united at the end by the side seam clearly visible in the following picture.

The thick seam at the waist is very uncomfortable for me.

For the last version in black, assembled the front and back at the sides before installing the waist elastic.

Montgomery brief  - wrong side
Une seule modification
Les instructions pour cette culotte indiquent de coudre en deux parties l'élastique de taille. Une partie à l'avant et une partie à l'arrière avant de coudre les côtés. Ainsi, la dernière couture, celle des côtés, est très épaisse en raison de la jonction des deux portions d'élastique. Il en résulte une culotte inconfortable. Je la porte quand même, mais j'ai hâte de la retirer le soir venu.

Afin de remédier à cet inconfort, j'ai cousu les coutures de côté avant d'installer l’élastique de taille. je vous suggère fortement cette technique.

Plus de photographies de mon ensemble rétro...  le tissu à mes yeux lui donne un look 1950's - More pictures of my retro looking set. I think that the cotton gives it a retro look.



Colour picture of B&W set

B&W picture of the B&W set. I had fun shooting those pix.



Pattern - Fabric - Notions 
PatternsBoylston bra from Orange Lingerie -Montgomery for the mesh panties also from Orange Lingerie

Fabric: Cotton and Lycra woven fabric from Madeleine Soie et laine (no longer open) - Mesh from Club Tissus in Laval Quebec Canada - the bra lining fabric (not shown) is form Bra Makers Supply in Hamilton Ontario Canada (on line). I used their regular bra lining fabric available in white or black. 

Notions: All elastics, the closure and the bow were part of a Bra Makers Supply kit. I had enough elastic for 1 bra and 1 pair of panties. But my brief is a XS and I had to put two types of elastics to fisnish the waist line. Order more then one kit for a more uniform look.



You Might Also Like

2 commentaires

Popular Posts